Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A lickin'



Dear Reade,

The smile on my face spread from ear to ear as I watched you play with our children while I made supper. "Give us a lickin' Daddy!" they trilled with delight, running away, shrieking. With no fear, total openness to playing run, chase, and a wet sloppy lick as the high point, they seek you out and delight in your presence.

I am so grateful that our children are not afraid of physical punishment in the regular everyday moments of their lives. "Lickings" and "being beaten" are a part of their physical play, not of punitive action. They love to be licked. They love to race and especially to have mama and daddy be beaten. They have no sense that there might be sadness in those words for other children. That other children, asking for "lickings" or tickling to stop might not find their request respected. Might not find themselves respected.

Thank you for being the kind of daddy who respects your children, who respects me, your wife.

I am so grateful for you.

Love, Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment