Wednesday, August 24, 2011

habits

Dear Reade,

As you may well remember, tonight when we came home from picking you up at work, I parked the van on the street. We all got out of the van as though this was completely normal, a perfect place for parking our van. We trundled in to the house.

I closed the door to the house and realized I had fallen prey to the force of habit. In this particular instance, not an evil habit, just a habit, but one that causes me to attend to the other habits of my days.

We have a driveway. For five months we have been parking on the street because we have had a portable storage unit providing warehouse space for our household's largest de-clutter ever. Last week the storage unit went to its next home (and there were smiles all around!) and in the intervening days I have been pleased to park on the driveway.

Tonight we were eating ice cream and talking about our days. You were at work late today so the children had more than usual to tell you. As I parked we were clarifying the head-inside, get-showered, get-jim-jamerino-ed, read-books, lights-out plan. I was distracted from the task at hand and found myself living out of last week's reality instead of the current reality.

And so I ponder:
  • What other pathways am I following that hinder me from arriving where I want to go?
  • How am I thinking that distracts me from being who I want to be, becoming who I want to become?
  • What are the "key stones" that cause my routines to crumble?
  • Where am I allowing auto-pilot to take me as I walk through being and wife-ing and parenting and friend-ing each day?
I would like to be more attentive, more present most days.

I love you.

Jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment