Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mr. Pants


Dear Reade,

I get a big kick out of this kid of ours, our Boy-o. Today he has been playing busily with his friends from across the street. Later today we'll head to trampoline. He's growing so tall. I remember a package we received after he was born that contained pants in an 18 month size. As I held up those pants I thought how HUGE they were and how I was sure that he'd be ages before he grew into them. Of course, now Girlie wears those tiny pants and I'm having to let out the waist bands and unroll the hems on all The Boy's size three pants.

As I was helping him get dressed after an encounter with the hose in the backyard, he pulled out one of his great lines: Mama, can you please get me some long-sleeved pants. I brought his clam diggers (it is 25 degrees C) and he protested, but finally agreed. Medium-sleeved pants would be okay.

Today our boy is delighting in telling me that he's "tough" when he falls down. Other times he has snuck in to get a kiss having just fallen and hurt himself.

It's a pretty great gift for me to be able to be near him, to overhear him as he plays and to play alongside him at other moments. You are right. I will look back fondly and wistfully on these days.

Love, Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment